Friday, June 11, 2010

January 12, 2010

Can you even imagine how terrifying it was? One ordinary day you are going about your daily life and suddenly everything around you starts shaking, spinning, crumbling... picture frames are falling off the wall, light fixtures swaying, dishes and glasses busting out of the cabinets and crashing to the ground in a million pieces... The ceiling is folding down on top of you, screams of terror from every direction... Instant fear of not knowing where your loved ones are and if they are okay... Can you see the darkness? Can you hear the deafening noise of the crumbling buildings and terrifying cries and screams of young children and grown men? Can you feel the dust and debris hitting your head and face? Can you imagine the new reality at that moment that nothing will ever be the same again? I wasn't there, but I CANNOT even imagine...


destruction in Haiti
(photo by Greg Blackmon)

demolished home in Port au Prince

Coq Chante orphanage
(photo by Greg Blackmon)


Bella was there that terrifying day. I wish I knew what she was doing at that moment. I wish I could've held her tight and whispered to her that it was all gonna be ok. All I know is that she was in her orphanage, and the caretakers got her outside safely. I thank God she is too little to ever remember... that she isn't scared to be indoors like so many of the Haitian children... that she isn't having nightmares every time she goes to sleep. I PRAISE God for sparing her life that day... for allowing her to get out without a scratch. I PRAISE God that because of that awful earthquake on January 12, He brought the two of us together... AMEN and AMEN! So many lives were lost that day... So many people hurt. Of course, the children captured my heart. Here are a few pictures of some of the injured kids. Bless them.


4 yr old little boy with femur fracture in hospital at Dominican Republic


2 month old baby girl found under rubble 11 days after earthquake- still alive! crush injury to her right leg... she was a fighter!


young boy found by Dr. Greg over a week after the earthquake- took him for surgery and a REAL cast! can you imagine living with a broken leg for over a week?!
(photo by Greg Blackmon)


smiling kids outside their new home made of tarps, sheets and sticks...
what happens when it rains?
(photo by Greg Blackmon)


So, as I shared in my last post... in December, God had started doing some serious stirring in my heart. I had started praying about what it might look like for me to adopt. But, REALLY? Was I SERIOUS? I don't know! I had JUST started thinking and praying about it when the earthquake hit! One of the churches in the community where I work (Whitestone Church) has close ties with Haiti and have been supporting an orphanage there for several years. Dr. Greg and Dr. Abby (the pediatricians I work for) have been to Haiti to serve on medical missions and also LOVE the children in the orphanage there. When the earthquake happened, the church wanted to bring all of their orphans home immediately. I volunteered to take one of the girls. It was a quick and scary decision, but I had never been more sure of anything. I had to fill out all kinds of government paperwork and just about sign my life away... As the process went on, it did not look like the orphans would be coming home any time soon. I was REALLY disappointed. And that kinda surprised me. Why would I be so disappointed if it didn't mean something? So, I just kept praying... And watching the news... looking at those lil' faces. Gosh, I couldn't get those lil' faces out of my dreams...

At this point, Dr. Greg was already gone to Haiti to provide medical relief. I think I texted or facebook messaged him everyday to bring me home a Haiti baby in his backpack! Sort of an inside joke between us... (but I think he knew I was serious!) Little did either of us know the joke would be on us in a couple weeks!

When sharing my heart with one of my dear friends, Carmen Long, she mentioned that a mutual friend of ours- Norris Hill (ProVision Foundation) was over in Haiti at the time. So, what did I do? Yep! Facebook messaged him to bring me home a Haiti baby in HIS backpack! He did better than that... He called me within a couple hours of my message and said, "Guess where I am"? All I could hear (aside from a terrible connection full of static) was a bunch of little voices singing and talking and giggling! I knew he was in Haiti, but I said, "Where? Where?!!!" He said, " I am standing in an orphanage full of adoptable babies- most of them are sick and hungry. Can you get on the next flight here to check on these babies?"

ARE YOU EVEN KIDDING ME GOD?! After a bazillion phone calls and a quick conversation with Dr. Abby who immediately gave me her blessing and prayed over me... I was on a flight 24 hours later with Norris' wife Melissa and Steve and Renee Moldrup- who I worked for at Windy Gap 6 years ago. For real, God? For real? You are SO BIG and SO GOOD! Another 24 hours later, I was standing in that orphanage... These are the faces that met us at that gate!

BE.STILL.MY.HEART.



Terry Guthe (team member) with Haiti orphan toddler girl


me with my instant new best friend- this kid was a SCREAM!



Terry Douglas (ProVision Foundation) with a lovey little girl



Steve Moldrup (college pastor at CSPC) unknowingly with his soon-to-be daughter! don't ya just love God's surprises?!


the funny little booger again!

Well, this post has gotten WAY longer than I ever intended... I just start remembering so many details when I get going! Don't worry... Bella was there that day... just inside and SO sick... the details are coming... I'm exhausted and want to get this posted and will try to finish some of the story tomorrow... You know- like when I first laid eyes on her... and did I KNOW at that moment? Thanks for reading along this journey with me... God sure did write the story because I never could have come up with something as creative! More to come...

4 comments:

  1. Molly, I love the details and blow by blow of how it all happened. Wow, I stand amazed at how God works and what he has done in you. You are beautiful. Inside and out. I can't wait to hear more and follow along. I love you so much girl. You'll never know....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly,
    As I spent the day with Bella yeasterday...it takes me back to the day I met you there in Haiti when I brought you supplies for her...how sick she was but HOW LOVELY and radiant she was. I knew at that moment that the two of you...meant to be together!!!!!!!!I knew it! God is so amzing isn't he...pray for a little...gain a lot!!! While I played with her yesterday, it brought back so many memories of all I saw and experienced there...I am plagued daily with the question of why some and not others...for the good or for the bad. I look at her sweet smiling face and wonder..."do you know?..."do you know how chosen you are?"...some day she will ...I know you know how blessed you both are!!!...she is DARLING...and I know God has a definite plan for her and for you!!! I am thankful that every now and then I get to snatch her away and remember and watch her grow...ater seeing her there and how far she has come....I am just amazxed and so happy for you both and excited to see what will come!!!! Love her and you...always praying for your future...and for those left behind...

    ReplyDelete
  3. God is SO amazing. When I saw you and Bella together at the shower, your love for her was obviously overflowing. I hope one day Bella realizes how very lucky she is. I am checking my Blog List everyday to see if you have posted more. Can't wait to follow along.

    ReplyDelete